If someone comes up to me and asks me if Lifeproof was better than an Otterbox? Or just which is the best iPhone case? I’d probably have said Lifeproof Fre. The sole reason of that would be that it’s waterproof and with a solid level of water resistance (IP67) built into the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Lifeproof vs Otterbox – in this article you will find out which one is the best for your new iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
On second-guessing, Otterbox has a good reputation for being the best iPhone case in the drop-proof category. Whether that be the iPhone 7 or an older model. Meanwhile, Lifeproof has a reputation for being the best all-around case, boasting water, drop, dust, and snow protection.
However, we’re here to use facts to determine which would make a winner, so here it goes.
Lifeproof vs Otterbox – The Criteria:
There are ten categories with the potential for ten points in each category. Which means each case will get an overall score out of 100. These will help determine the best iPhone case.
- Meet or exceed military-grade standards
- Slim Profile
- Water protection
- Dirt protection
- Impact protection
- Ease of assembly
- Touch screen protector
- Custom color choices
The Otterbox Defender Case for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
This has been regarded as one of the best iPhone case. The Otterbox Defender’s features include a clear, built-in protective touchscreen cover. A Touch ID-responsive rubber cover for protection over the Home button. It has a solidly reinforced polycarbonate shell with a dense rubber exterior that increases the strength of the rubber seals. With the ports and buttons securely plugged, the Otterbox Defender prevents debris like dust or sand from getting in.
- A streamlined design and not too bulky
- Easy to grip, also goes in and out of your pockets with ease, even with wet hands.
- Shock and impact-resistant.
- The price starts from $42.99.
- Although the buttons are securely plugged, a certain proportion of the iPhone is left exposed. Both rear and front cameras are left unprotected.
- Possibly the most significant issue that I have with the Defender is the screen protector which reduces the typing speed and overall sensitivity of the screen.
You can buy the Otterbox defender case for your iPhone 7 or 7 Plus using this link.
Read Also: Best Ring Holders for iPhone 7 Plus
Lifeproof Fre Case for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
It sports a slim structure and is known for being snow-proof, dirt-proof, water-proof up to IP68 and drop-proof. It also has it’s built in screen protector.
- Since the iPhone is tightly sealed, adventurers would prefer this.
- Touchscreen protector aligns completely with the iPhone display screen and it doesn’t interfere with your interaction with the phone.
- The price starts from $44.99.
- The slim design of the case is sufficiently sturdy and in cases of major drops, it may break the case but not the iPhone.
- Audio quality is more affected when your iPhone is in the Lifeproof in comparison with the Otterbox.
You can buy Lifeproof fre case for your iPhone 7 or 7 Plus using this direct link.
The Scores for Best iPhone Case: Otterbox Defender vs Lifeproof Fre
Otterbox Defender Scores:
- Meet or exceed military-grade standards: 7/10
- Value: 9/10
- Slim Profile: 9/10
- Grip: 8/10
- Water protection: 5/10
- Dirt protection: 8/10
- Impact protection: 10/10
- Ease of assembly: 9/10
- Touch screen protector: 5/10
- Custom color choices: 9/10
Lifeproof Fre Scores:
- Meet or exceed military-grade standards: 8/10
- Value: 7/10
- Slim Profile: 9/10
- Grip: 7/10
- Water protection: 10/10
- Dirt protection: 9/10
- Impact protection: 7/10
- Ease of assembly: 7/10
- Touch screen protector: 9/10
- Custom color choices: 8/10
Lifeproof vs Otterbox – Total Scores:
Otterbox Defender: 79/100
Lifeproof Fre: 81/100
Read Next: Best iPhone 7 Battery Cases
Lifeproof Fre has won the showdown for best iPhone 7 and 7 Plus case.