iPhones are great gadgets to begin with, and there are no doubt about the security, integrity and the features offered on these devices. However, activation of an iPhone requires a valid SIM card and you can’t activate iPhone without sim card inside the phone, like it could be done in iPads and iPod Touches.
iPhone is meant to be a phone and the rest two types of iOS devices aren’t, and that’s why having a SIM card is mandatory while activating an iPhone for the first time. However, if you have a non-activated iPhone and don’t have a spare SIM card, but you want to activate your iPhone – this is how you can do it without sim card.
#1: Activate iPhone Without SIM Card
When you turn on an iPhone for the first time, there has to be a SIM card present in the SIM slot. Without the SIM card, the iPhone will remain stuck in one specific screen, however there’s a silly trick which might bypass the iPhone to the home screen and would be usable as a media device and internet navigator. However, this method might not work on all iPhones out there, especially the latest ones would actually require a real SIM card and no tricks do usually work as a standard. Anyways, this process works out the following way.
- Turn on the iPhone by holding down the power button until the display turns on. Once the iPhone boots up and gets stuck at the no SIM card installed screen, that’s where the second step begins.
- Tap on the Home button when the iPhone is on. It won’t redirect to Home since the iPhone isn’t activated, however an option to make an emergency call will be offered. Dial some number like 112, make a call and immediately hang up using the red button. If you could use the power button with appropriate tricks, the home screen will show up instead of a stuck up white screen.
#2: Use R-Sim / X-Sim to Activate iPhone without Original Sim
To activate your iPhone without the original sim card, you can use X-Sim or R-sim card. Follow the steps on how to use it:
- Insert your sim card with the R-sim into your phone.
- Select the carrier from the list or enter your IMSI code.
- Confirm and restart your device.
- Your iPhone will start searching for service and the activation will be completed.
After this process, you can use your iPhone without the original sim card. If you don’t want to use a X-sim or R-sim, you can try the next method.
#3: Use iTunes to Activate iPhone Without SIM Card
iTunes offers an iPhone user the ability to activate their iPhones over this software interface, and no SIM card is required for this operation to take place.
- Download iTunes from Apple’s official website. Using the latest version of iTunes is always recommended, because a backdated version might end up with conflicts between the computer’s OS and the phone’s OS. Apple’s website has the most updated version of iTunes at any given time, so it’s the wisest idea to get the executable installer from Apple Website.
- Have your lightning cable or 40 pin dock connector ready. Since the iPhone needs to be connected with the PC physically, the cable is required. Connect your iPhone with the PC using the authorized cable.
- After the phone is detected on iTunes, the software interface will show step by step instructions on computer. Follow them to get the iPhone set up and activated without having a SIM card inside the slot.
Note: This method works only for few carriers. You may be asked to enter your last 4 digits from your SSN, your Phone number and Zip code to activate it.
Conclusion: After you activate your iPhone without SIM card, you can easily use it for browsing the internet, gaming, using your favorite apps, making free calls and more. Setting up an iPhone is much easier and hassle free with a SIM card inside. If you can’t absolutely manage a SIM card, follow the procedures mentioned above.