Do your AirPods disconnect frequently during calls on iPhone? Well, you’re not the only one facing this issue. Other users have complained too. Read on to know how you can resolve the AirPods disconnecting during calls issue easily.
For instance, one complain on Apple Support Forums said that AirPods were paired fine on iOS 10.2 on iPhone 6 Plus and they got disconnected randomly during the call. The Bluetooth connection was lost and the user needed to connect them manually again. Happened several times without any pattern, and the AirPods were 100% charged. However, the problem didn’t occur while listening to music.
AirPods Disconnecting During Calls – 5 Ways to Fix this Issue
If that happens with you too, follow these steps, while making sure AirPods are fully charged.
1. Set AirPods to Right or Left Microphone
Both AirPods have a microphone, and both left and right work as one during a call. Enabling one as microphone might solve the issue. To do so:
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth.
- Tap “I” besides AirPods > Microphone.
- Select “Always Left AirPod” or “Always Right AirPod.”
The default selection will make both work as mic. Your AirPods disconnecting during calls again? Try the next solution.
2. Disable Automatic Ear Detection
AirPods have “Automatic Ear Detection” feature, which means they don’t work when you take them outside the ear space. Reporters have revealed that switching off this won’t disconnect AirPods during phone calls. Follow these steps.
- Launch Settings -> Bluetooth.
- Tap “i” next to AirPods.
- Disable Automatic Ear Detection.
3. Forget AirPods & Pair Once Again
- Go to Settings -> Bluetooth.
- Tap “i” beside AirPods and choose “Forget this Device.”
- Reboot iPhone.
- After it reboots, pair AirPods again.
4. Reset Network Settings
- Head to Settings -> General -> Reset.
- Choose “Reset Network Settings” and confirm.
Reset All Settings if the issue continues.
5. Attempt Changing Inputs & Outputs on Mac
- Open “System Preferences” on Mac and select “Sound.”
- Select “Output Tab” > AirPods.
- Select “Input Tab” > AirPods.
We hope that one of these methods fixes the AirPods disconnecting during calls issue for you.