Although iCloud does a great job to manage and organize your iPhone contacts, it gets problematic when you import a large number of contacts and numbers from iCloud to your devices, as there is a chance of contacts getting duplicated. While you can find those duplicates, it’s a whole different ballgame if there are a lot of contacts.
How to Remove / Merge Duplicate Contacts on iPhone
Luckily, we’ve discovered an application that can help you find and remove duplicate contacts and numbers. Follow the steps below to get rid of duplicate contacts from your iPhone.
Note: There is no such feature provided by the stock Contacts app.
Steps to Remove Duplicate Contacts from iPhone
- Download Smart Merge from the App Store.
- Open the app and follow the login instructions.
- After granting privileges to the app, let it scan your contacts.
- Tap ‘show duplicates’ to search for duplicate contacts.
- Expand the list by tapping the ‘Duplicate Contacts’ section.
- Alongside contacts, tap the ‘info button’ which was marked as duplicate by the app to make changes visible.
- Then select the contact you want to merge or delete as a duplicate; tapping them will exclude them from the selection.
- Finally, select ‘merge’ to start the merging or deleting process.
Remember to check the duplicates before taking any action, as there may be a contact name which was mistakenly placed as a duplicate but is actually a different contact in reality. The app also offers other useful features such as sorting contacts, backing up contacts, filtering contacts, and other similar things unavailable in the stock Contacts app.
Download Smart Merge from the App Store and feel free to share your thoughts.
Update #1: Here’s another tested app that will help you to remove duplicate contacts from iPhone. The app is called CleanupDupes and can be downloaded from App Store.