RAR files are commonly known as compressed files, although it’s used for archiving files in a single package as well. A lot of third party programs are available for different operating systems to open and extract RAR files, among them WinRAR is apparently the most popular. However, the modern operating systems offer native RAR extraction features as well to cope up with the ever increasing popularity of RAR format. Especially to distribute some software or other file among a larger audience, RAR files make better archives due to having higher compression ratio than the ZIP files.
How to Open or Extract RAR Files on Mac OS X
If you have just shifted to Mac from a Windows or Linux based platform, you might have trouble figuring out RAR files on a Macintosh platform. We would like to assist you through extracting your first RAR file on Mac OS X.
You could be a little surprised to learn this fact – the Mac OS X does not come with a native built in RAR extraction utility. It does come with a ZIP extraction program built-in, but nothing for the RAR users. To open a RAR file in any device, they first need to be extracted using a third party program in Mac OS X. The built in frameworks in Mac supports formats like TAR, ZIP, GZIP but not RAR; this doesn’t feel right.
Best Apps to Open RAR file on Mac OS X
There are quite a good number of free and paid RAR opener and extractor software for Mac OS X. For the purpose, we would like to stick to the free programs as they need all the requirements.
- The Unarchiver: The Unarchiver software is available on the Mac App Store and could be downloaded on a Mac OS X through the native app installation way. It’s free, and comes with good reviews – mostly 5 stars. Just look for Unarchiver to get the software, click install and wait until the installation is finished. To open and extract a RAR file using this app, right-click on a RAR file and select Unarchiver through the Open With option. The files inside the RAR archive would be extracted to the same direction the archive is stored at.
- RAR Extractor Free: The RAR Extractor Free is available in the App Store and it’s a simple and bare-bone software only to get the job done at minimal ease. Apart from the RAR format, this app also supports formats like Rar, Zip, Tar, 7-Zip etc. You can download it today from this link.
- iZip Archiver: iZip is the fastest and easiest way to open or extract RAR, ZIP, TAR, 7ZIP, ZIPX and all other compressed files on your Mac. iZip can be downloaded completely free on your Mac without any limitations. Download it today from the Mac App Store.
- WinRar for Mac: This is a only command-line app. You will need a extra knowledge to use WinRar on Mac OSX. We recommend you to use Unarchiver for better visual experience.
- unRAR Pro for Mac: unRAR Pro is a more premium software for opening and extracting the RAR files on a Macintosh computer. However, this programs isn’t free – the price tag is $1.99 in the Apple App Store. Likewise the previous step, navigate to App Store and install it. Your payment details would be verified and the app will be downloaded on Mac OS in no time. Open a RAR file using this program to open or extract.
Conclusion: The App Store has a lot more than these five RAR extractor programs and all off them work. It really comes down to user’s preference for a RAR extraction program.